[ELDK] Pruning Filesystem

Dave Rensberger David.Rensberger at ambientcorp.com
Wed Oct 6 15:04:46 CEST 2010

>[ELDK] Pruning Filesystem
>
>" Any pointers?  Is 60MB attainable?  Has anyone successfully pruned
>away the ELDK in this fashion?"

A couple of years ago, my company required me to use DENX, and I ran into the issue that you're seeing and solved it in exactly the way that you describe (pruned the filesystem).  The reason I did this was because (in 2008 anyway), the "Root File System Builder" didn't seem to work and I couldn't find any real documentation for it.   Maybe this has changed over the past couple of years.

It was fairly easy.  What you basically want to do is prune the "crosstool-targetcomponents-ppc_4xx" package down to the bare essentials (basically down to just the standard C library and maybe a few other shared objects).   If you look at the contents of the package, it becomes pretty obvious what you don't want (header files, static libraries, toolchain components, gcj stuff).  I can send you my pruning script if you'd like.  We eventually got the base distribution well below 50MB, which I don't really consider "embedded sized", but it was good enough for my project's requirements.   I personally think this could all be a whole lot easier if the C-library were just partitioned into a separate package.   I the "Root File System Builder" works now, I'd be interested in hearing about it, but probably won't go back and change at this point, since we only use DENX in a legacy product at this point anyway.

--Dave