[ELDK] Pruning Filesystem

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Oct 6 16:54:46 CEST 2010

Hi Batsayan Das,

> The other way is
>
> Download busybox and cross compile and install it say in a directory named
> "rootfs". This step will create  bin, sbin, usr etc.

Busybox populates /etc (apart from busybox.links or somesuch) these
days?  Really?  I certainly have to look into busybox again.

> run crosstool-targetcomponents-ldd on any of the binaries generated in
> step 1, now you can find out the libraries required, create "lib"
> directory and  copy those libraries along with soft links to the "lib"
> directory of your root file system
> compile kernel and install modules in the "roofs" directory.
> create **empty** tmp, var, mnt,  sys directories inside "rootfs" directory
> Now create etc, and put some basic files "inittab", and "init.d/rcS"
>
> Now your "rootfs" is ready.

Did you test this at all?  Do things like pam utilities, telnet server,
etc. work?

Actually I kind of doubt it.  There are a few pretty important files in
/etc which are not directly coupled to busybox but still are central to
a functioning linux system.

The intent of rfsb was to alleviate regular users from the burden of
such "neccessary but boring" tasks.

But hey, everybody has the right to spend his time the way he wants, so
yes, this is "another way" to do it.  There is also the "Linux From
Scratch" [1] project going into great detail on how to produce a root
file system.

All these paths will eventually lead to a root file system.  The
question one should answer (as always) is "how fast do I arrive at
something which works now and scales into the future."  Currently only
the first point was discussed, whereas rfsb tries to also keep the
second argument in mind.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
I haven't lost my mind, I know exactly where I left it.