[ELDK] error: 'errno' undeclared

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Tue Sep 21 18:25:11 CEST 2010

Alberto Ciampini wrote:
> hi!!

Hi Alberto,

> i have a strange issue when cross compiling for arm: if i try to use
> errno (or build programs that uses it), i get (for example):
>
> cmem.c:116: error: 'errno' undeclared (first use in this function)
> cmem.c:116: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> cmem.c:116: error: for each function it appears in.)

I cannot confirm this issue, I can compile clean for ARM (you miss to
say which version of ELDK you are using. Let's say, we are using ELDK-4.2).

> and of course i have not forgotten to #include <errno.h>
> what puzzles me is that the errno.h file (eldk/arm/usr/include/errno.h)
> only includes <asm-generic/errno.h> and that file is just a list of
> defines....
> i also looked at the files in the include path, but it seems that the
> errno variable is not defined anywhere....

The errno should be in the libc, and in the include path you find the
extern reference.

> i tried to download the whole mailing list archives and look for a
> similar problem, but i found nothing...

Because there is no problem...it seems it is related to your environment.

This simple code as test can be compiled for ARM:

#include <stddef.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <errno.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
	int fd;

	fd = open("test",O_RDWR);

	if (!fd) {
		printf("errno test: error %d\n", errno);
	}

	exit(0);
}

$ arm-linux-gcc -Wall -o testerrno test.c

$ file testerrno
testerrno: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.14, not stripped

> can you please try to give me some hints?? thanks a lot!!

Have you set the CROSS_COMPILE variable ?

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de