[ELDK] Performance of application build with ELDK tool chain

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Apr 14 12:28:53 CEST 2011

Dear Ratheendran R,

In message <BANLkTikPOCo_=p0j+jTwDiMmx+s5gdwqCQ at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> 1. I recently ported linux2.6.32 to one of our ARM based embedded board and
> used your filesystem ,I found mounting of YAFFS2 root file system is taking
> long time(6 to 8 sec).How can I improve this.

Why are you using such an ancient kernel version?  2.6.32 is 7
releases behind current, so it iis definitely a very bad idea to base
any recent development work on it.  Please update and use current code
instead.

Also, YAFFS2 is probably not the best choice for your system.
Unfortunately you don't provide any details - are we talking about NOR
or NAND flash?  How big is your flash device? etc.

Typically we recommend to use UBI / UBIFS these days - but you need
recent kernel code for that (or you might run into a number of bugs).

> 2. Secondly when I run the QT library based application for the first time
> this take significant time to show,

This may be because loading such big code and libraries from YAFFS2 is
slow.  For short boot times, other file systems are probably a better
choice.

> I am not not clear if this is correct forum to ask these questions,please
> oblige me in knowing the correct forum so that I can post this in case I am
> wrong place.

Your questions are very generic and in no way actually ELDK related,
so you could have posted these on any f the more generic mailing lists
instead, for example on linux-embedded at vger.kernel.org

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"One lawyer can steal more than a hundred men with guns."
- The Godfather