[ELDK] fyi: install.sh FreeBSD

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Thu Aug 18 10:05:17 CEST 2011

Hi Jeroen,

> Hello Detlev,
>>> 194c194
>>> <      tmp_dir=$(mktemp -d --tmpdir=${dest_path} eldk_install.XXXXX)
>>> ---
>>>   >      tmp_dir=$(mktemp -d ${dest_path}/eldk_install.XXXXX)
>> Ok, as far as I can see 'mktemp' isn't even in Posix, so we cannot take
>> that as a guideline as to what usage is ok or not.  ..
> Indeed it is not Posix afaik as well. Checked both man pages and actual
> returned values.
>> Can you please send a formal git patch together with your signed-off-by?
>> Thanks.
> No problem, but as indicated, you would have to point out which
> repository I need.
> It does not seem to be in
> http://git.denx.de/?p=eldk.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=commit&s=install.sh

Good point, I maneuvered myself into a tight spot here ;)

As we obviously do not have version control on this file, I was so free
to add your change to the file without further ado - thanks.

>> As far as I read the posix spec, uname -m should output i686:
>>
>> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/uname.html
>>
>> Maybe the FreeBSD uname needs to be fixed?
> Out if curiosity I checked what is reported with a i686 kernel only;
> although I would expect, like you, i686 it is still i386 though. I found
> a 6 year old thread about this, so likely not considered a bug (advised
> to make a port with all build / optimization info ready). Anyway, as
> mentioned in the original email, I had and don't have any intention to
> change the install script for this, just mentioned it for completeness
> so Google knows....
>
> This should do without altering the install script at all:
> uname() { command uname "$@" | sed s/i386/i686/ ; }
> export -f uname

I still think that the POSIX specification of "the hardware type the
system is running on" is clear enough and violated here.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
I just found out that the brain is like a computer.
If that's true, then there really aren't any stupid people.