[ELDK] Do i have to replace entire my board RFS with one from the ELDK 5.1 while i only need sysrootf/powerpc-linux/lib/.debug for valgrind?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Dec 28 16:12:51 CET 2011

Dear Le Ngoc Dinh,

In message <4EFAFAA8.7000506 at atvn.com.vn> you wrote:

> My current board is using MPC8272, libc-2.3.5.

So this appears to be a root file system based on the old ELDK 4.1
release, i. e. 5 years old code?

> I am porting the valgrind to run on my board. This need me to update the
> libc in my board to eglibc-dbg which is provided in the ELDK 5.1.
> I copied the .debug directory from the ELDK 5.1 to a common share folder
> that the board and my linux host can see in the same path (mounted path:
> /home/A/lib/.debug)
> I use the powerpc-linux-gcc installed from the ELDK 5.1 to compile the
> valgrind and my program with a link flag -R/home/A/lib/.debug. They were
> compiled successfully.
> But when i run them onboard, the valgrind said it could not find the
> shared library path.

This is to be expected.  ELDK 5.1 is based on eglibc 2.13 whic is,
well, about 5 years more advanced that your C library.

> I used ldd from the ELDK 5.1 in my board and see the library path of my
> program and valgind is still /lib/libc.so.6.
> Is there any way to set the linker path in my compiled files to
> /home/A/lib/.debug?

No, this cannot work.  You cannot take one part of the code and
libraries from 5 years ago and another part from now and still expect
this should work.

> Or Do i have to update the RFS by the one in the eldk 5.1 and the lib on
> board by the sysrootf/powerpc-linux/lib/.debug from the ELDK 5.1?

Yes, you should use all tools and libraries from a single source (ELDK
5.1) only, and make sure to build and link all your own applications
in the new, matching environment.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The flow chart is a most thoroughly oversold piece of  program  docu-
mentation.              -- Frederick Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"