[ELDK] ELDK issue with Valgrind........

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon May 9 22:29:42 CEST 2011

Dear Michael Steiger,

In message <4DC7C58C.8020307 at infoworks.at> you wrote:

> I can not find a package glibc-debuginfo in the eldk sources and all
> other SRPMS I have compiled and checked do not contain ld.so*
> The only glibc-debuginfo I can find on the net is for x86 and a
> different version eldk is using.

Well, in ELDK 4.x the glibc is part of the crosstools RPM, so what you
are actually looking for is crosstools-debuginfo.

> I am willing to spend my time to learn about it but could you please
> tell me what I really have to do to get this beast?

I'm afraid I don't have a good answer to this question.  When I
realized that we are actually looking for crosstools-debuginfo, and
when finding none in the ELDK 4.2 build archives, it began to dawn on
me that we had been looking into this in the past (Oct 2008).

Initially, we hoped (as we now did again) that the crosstool
debuginfo RPM would solve the problem. We built this RPM, but
unfortunately, this doesn't help either.

For unknown reasons, the source tree (glibc source tree in this
case), which must be present in the debuginfo RPM, is not included
there, unlike of ordinary ELDK target debuginfo packages. We then
spent a couple of days trying to fix debuginfo for crosstool, but
nothing worked. We finally stopped because we could not spend
arbitrary amounts of efforts on this, especially without any
customers paying for this work. Based on the information we have so
far it's even hard to guess how much additional effort will be needed
to produce an usable debuginfo RPM for crosstool.  We expect it to be
in the order of several man-weeks.

With ELDK 5.0 being in reach, I don't think it makes sense to invest
such efforts.  Please feel free to contact me directly if you really
need this and consider paying for the needed efforts.

Sorry, I wish I had better news.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"It's when they say 2 + 2 = 5 that I begin to argue."    - Eric Pepke