[ELDK] ELDK issue with Valgrind........

Michael Steiger mslists at infoworks.at
Tue May 10 14:25:00 CEST 2011

Dear Wolfgang,

On 09.05.2011 22:29 Wolfgang Denk said the following:
 > Dear Michael Steiger,
 >
 > In message<4DC7C58C.8020307 at infoworks.at>  you wrote:
 >>
 >> I can not find a package glibc-debuginfo in the eldk sources and all
 >> other SRPMS I have compiled and checked do not contain ld.so*
 >> The only glibc-debuginfo I can find on the net is for x86 and a
 >> different version eldk is using.
 >
 > Well, in ELDK 4.x the glibc is part of the crosstools RPM, so what you
 > are actually looking for is crosstools-debuginfo.
 >
 >> I am willing to spend my time to learn about it but could you please
 >> tell me what I really have to do to get this beast?
 >
 > I'm afraid I don't have a good answer to this question.  When I
 > realized that we are actually looking for crosstools-debuginfo, and
 > when finding none in the ELDK 4.2 build archives, it began to dawn on
 > me that we had been looking into this in the past (Oct 2008).
 >
 > Initially, we hoped (as we now did again) that the crosstool
 > debuginfo RPM would solve the problem. We built this RPM, but
 > unfortunately, this doesn't help either.
[snipped]

Thanks for the long explanation about this special problem.

I have further researched and have now the following situation.
The valgrind error message says:

valgrind:  Possible fixes: (1, short term): install glibc's debuginfo
valgrind:  package on this machine.  (2, longer term): ask the packagers
valgrind:  for your Linux distribution to please in future ship a non-
valgrind:  stripped ld.so (or whatever the dynamic linker .so is called)
valgrind:  that exports the above-named function using the standard
valgrind:  calling conventions for this platform.  The package you need
valgrind:  to install for fix (1) is called

Option 1 is currently (almost) not possible.
But option 2 maybe?

I have now installed the crosstools source RPM and compiled this
package. Looks fine so far.

Couldn't I use this package and change the build process so that the
ld.so file would not be stripped? Is the resulting library the same what
the valgrind message is talking about?

As I said before I have never built such a library and therrfore could
not find the right place in the spec file to remove the strip command.

Thanks
Michael