[ELDK] ELDK issue with Valgrind........

Michael Steiger mslists at infoworks.at
Wed May 11 12:41:09 CEST 2011

On 10.05.2011 15:03 Wolfgang Denk said the following:
> Dear Michael Steiger,
>
> In message<4DC92E9C.1080906 at infoworks.at>  you wrote:
>>
>> valgrind:  Possible fixes: (1, short term): install glibc's debuginfo
>> valgrind:  package on this machine.  (2, longer term): ask the packagers
>> valgrind:  for your Linux distribution to please in future ship a non-
>> valgrind:  stripped ld.so (or whatever the dynamic linker .so is called)
>> valgrind:  that exports the above-named function using the standard
>> valgrind:  calling conventions for this platform.  The package you need
>> valgrind:  to install for fix (1) is called
>>
>> Option 1 is currently (almost) not possible.
>> But option 2 maybe?
>
> MAybe. Sorry, we have never tried this yet.
>
>> I have now installed the crosstools source RPM and compiled this
>> package. Looks fine so far.
>>
>> Couldn't I use this package and change the build process so that the
>> ld.so file would not be stripped? Is the resulting library the same what
>> the valgrind message is talking about?
>
> It should be.
>
>> As I said before I have never built such a library and therrfore could
>> not find the right place in the spec file to remove the strip command.
>
> There is probably no explicit strip command, rather the stripping is
> automatically done during the final link step by some "-s" options.
> This is probably a RPM setting. Try running rpm with the "--showrc"
> option and search of "-s" - the LDFLAGS are a likely candiate.

Excellent hint.

The only place I found LDFLAGS is:

-14: GNUconfigure(MCs:)
   CFLAGS="${CFLAGS:-%optflags}" ; export CFLAGS;
   LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS:-%{-s:-s}}"  ; export LDFLAGS;

And, no surprise, -s is there.
But after searching for a very long time I did not find the place where
I could change this.

Another interesting fact (at least for me) is:
-14: __os_install_post  %{_runtimeprefix}/usr/lib/rpm/brp-compress
                 %{_runtimeprefix}/usr/lib/rpm/brp-strip
                 %{_runtimeprefix}/usr/lib/rpm/brp-strip-comment-note
                 %{_runtimeprefix}/usr/lib/rpm/brp-strip-shared
                 %{_runtimeprefix}/usr/lib/rpm/brp-strip-static-archive
                 %{nil}

I haven't found any reference of brp-strip but I assume that this will
also strip the binaries. To rule this out I have already modified
brp-strip (exit 0 at the top) but the resulting ld-2.6.so is still the same.

Any ideas?

Regards
Michael