[ELDK] about NFS log in

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Tue Oct 25 09:30:48 CEST 2011

Hi wolfking,

> I also tried to login as "root". But it doesn't work either.
> The following is the serial output, please pay attention to the last several lines:

[...]

> DENX ELDK version 4.2 build 2008-04-01
> Linux 3.1.0-rc9-01512-g827bba2 on a ppc
> hpcn login: root
> Login incorrect
> login: root
> Login incorrect

As Wolfgang points out, your ELDK installation must somehow be different
than a pristine installation.  As noted, you could check the files
involved in the login process directly on your NFS server - maybe
someone using this installation before ran a "passwd root" and changed
the password....

If everything else fails, try booting with a "init=/bin/sh" appended to
your kernel command line.  This should get you a shell with which you
can do much mire, including running strace on getty for example.

Best wishes
  Detlev

  - Ken Thompson.