[ELDK] ELDK 5.2.1 Installation Help

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 9 20:35:59 CEST 2012

Dear Frank,

In message <B3EF6EC641C4414197E1E0834B98375E669C9EF595 at EADC-E-MABPRD01.ad.gd-ais.com> you wrote:

> Here is some information about the setup I am using:
> Target - AMCC PowerPC 460 EX
> Host - Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server, Release 5.2 (Tikanga)

RHEL 5.2 has not been tested before, so it may well be possible that
there are issius in this host environment.  Thanks for reporting it.

> $ ./install.sh -s game -r base powerpc-4xx

I think this is a typo here; it should be "gmae" instead of "game"
(but if you really had used "game" in your test you should have seen
other error messages).

> mktemp: invalid option -- -
> Usage: mktemp [-V] \ [-dqtu] [-p prefix] [template]

Could you please be so kind and provide the output of the following
commands on your system:

	$ mktemp -V
	$ mktemp --version
	$ rpm -qf $(which mktemp)
	$ mktemp -d --tmpdir=/tmp eldk_install.XXXXX

RHEL 5.2 appears to be about as old as Fedora Core 9 (May 2008).
FC9 ships "mktemp (GNU coreutils) 6.10"; with this version, the mktemp
command as used with the ELDK installer script works just fine.

Please also check if there are any update RPMs for the coreutils
package in RHEL 5.2, and check if installing it helps.

> It appears that the use of "tmpdir" in install.sh was the cause of
> the error. So, I decided to bypass the script and unzip the tool
> chain into my host /opt directory and create a directory called
> rootfs-base in the newly created /opt/eldk-5.2.1/powerpc-4xx
> directory and unzip the RFS into that. Is that correct? I am unsure
> if I have installed the ELDK correctly or not.

Yes, this is correct.  You need to be root (or run using "sudo") to
correctly install the root file system (otherwise you should see clear
enough error messages).

> Next, I also setup all of the environment variables in the
> environment-setup-ppc440e-linux file and set ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE.

This sounds as if you did so manually.  Why did you not simply sourtce
that file?

And why did you not use the "eldk-switch" tool as recommended in
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/ELDK-5/WebHome#Section_1.8.3. ?

> Terminal Display:
> $ ppc-linux-gcc test.c -o test
> -bash: ppc-linux-gcc: command not found

This is to be exected.  The CROSS_COMPILE prefix is not correct:

	-> eldk-switch -r 5.2.1 powerpc-4xx
	Setup for powerpc-4xx (using ELDK 5.2.1)
	-> echo $CROSS_COMPILE
	powerpc-linux-

> $ {CROSS_COMPILE}gcc test.c -o test
> -bash: {CROSS_COMPILE}gcc: command not found

This is missing the '$'; try instead:

	$ ${CROSS_COMPILE}gcc test.c -o test

> So, I proceeded to double check my environment variables and those
> seem to be correct.
>
> Terminal Display:
> $ echo $ARCH
> powerpc
> $ echo $CROSS_COMPILE
> powerpc-linux-

This is indeed OK.

> $ echo $PATH
> /opt/eldk-5.2.1/powerpc-4xx/sysroots/i686-eldk-linux/usr/bin: /opt/eldk-5.2.1/powerpc-4xx/sysroots/i686-eldk-linux/usr/bin/ppc440e-linux: /opt/eldk-5.2.1/powerpc-4xx/sysroots/i686-eldk-linux/usr/bin: /opt/eldk-5.2.1/powerpc-4xx/sysroots/i686-eldk-linux/usr/bin/ppc440e-linux: usr/kerberos/sbin: /usr/kerberos/bin: /usr/local/sbin: /usr/local/bin: /sbin: /bin: /usr/sbin: /usr/bin: /root/bin

This looks OK, except for the spaces in your PATH - are they really
there or did you just insert these for better readability?  There must
not be any spaces in $PATH!

> So, I am not sure how to proceed. If anyone can give some guidance
> for installing the ELDK and how to use it, I would greatly appreciate
> it.

Except for the incorrect ${CROSS_COMPILE} prefix usage above and the
spaces in your PATH I cannot see any problems.  It should work.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"What terrible way to die."
"There are no good ways."
	-- Sulu and Kirk, "That Which Survives", stardate unknown