[ELDK] ELDK 5.2.1 Installation Help

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 9 23:11:41 CEST 2012

Dear Frank,

In message <B3EF6EC641C4414197E1E0834B98375E669C9EF8B8 at EADC-E-MABPRD01.ad.gd-ais.com> you wrote:

> First, thank you so much for the quick reply! =)

You are welcome.

> 1. "GAME"
> >> $ ./install.sh -s game -r base powerpc-4xx
>
> > I think this is a typo here; it should be "gmae" instead of "game"
> > (but if you really had used "game" in your test you should have seen other error emessages).
>
> You are correct, it was autocorrected by my email client. I have been using "gmae".

Ouch.  That's what you get when tools think they are more clever than
you.  Well, I smell some M$ stuff, so I'm not really surprised.

> 2. mktemp information
> > Could you please be so kind and provide the output of the following commands on your system:
>
> Certainly, the output is:
>
> >	$ mktemp -V
> 	mktemp version 1.5

Ouch.  That's what we find in Fedora 8, then.  And true, this indeed
does not support long command line options.

> >	$ rpm -qf $(which mktemp)
> 	mktemp-1.5-23.2.2

Well, on Fedora 8 I get mktemp-1.5-25.fc7, so RHEL 5.2 is _really_
old.

You might want to tell your administration that you cannot work on
hi-tec stuff when all they give you is a stone-age had-axe.

[But be assured that I will consider switching to the obviusly better
protable short optin format with mktemp.]

> 3. coreutils update
> > Please also check if there are any update RPMs for the coreutils package in RHEL 5.2, and check if installing it helps.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have permission (company related) to update the system.

Ouch.  [You can install recent tools in your local directory, and then
set PATH to include these.  But it makes more sense to have all your
build environment updated.]

> And, eldk-switch.sh -q returns:
> Currently using eldk unknown from /opt/eldk-5.2.1/powerpc-4xx/sysroots/i686-eldk-linux/usr
> CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-
> ARCH=powerpc
>
> I found that it to be odd that the eldk was unknown.

Yes, this is indeed a shortcoming f the current code.  It is harmless,
so please ignore the "unknown" for now.  We will try and fix it ASAP.

> Yes, this was successful. However, I cannot execute test, whereas when test was compiled on the host I could (see below)? Is this correct?
>
> Terminal Display:
> $ ${CROSS_COMPILE}gcc test.c -o test_ELDK
> $ ./test_ELDK
> -bash: ./test_ELDK: cannot execute binary file

You cannot run this binary on your host system - your host is an x86
machine, but the cross compiler builds a file to be run on your PPC460
target.  You must copy it to the target's root file system, and then
you can run it on the target.

> I was also wondering if you could provide some material on what the
> ELDK does at a high level and upon installation how to use it? I am
> fairly new to this and feeling a bit overwhelmed with the big picture
> and how to use the ELDK.

Well, ELDK provides both a cross compilation environment so you can
build code to be runon your target board (things like -Boot and Linux
kernel images, but also application code like your "test_ELDK" program
above), and it provides a selection of root file systems that can be
used with your target board.

For more information, please also see the respective documentation for
the Yocto Project.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I'm what passes for a Unix guru in my office. This is  a  frightening
concept. - Lee Ann Goldstein, in <3k55ba$c43 at butch.lmsc.lockheed.com>