[ELDK] Regarding x86 uclibc distribution

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 26 09:26:21 CEST 2012

Dear Ratheendran R,

In message <CALM_QrWpTHoop3DoD8kfpHcWkD_WYuiSbfR15LDbqCkCyAXqKQ at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I am using eldk-5.2.1 distribution from your site,and I understand the
> build system used to make the distribution.
>
> I successfully build the same from source by following the tutorial
> available on http://www.denx.de/wiki/ELDK-5/EldkBuilding.

Fine.

> now I want to build a distribution using uclib library,kindly let me know
> the changes to be done on meta data files to achieve this or references to
> tutorial link

Well, you can try and have a look at the builkd rules in
meta/recipes-core/uclibc , meta-yocto/recipes-core/uclibc etc.

But please note that we do not support uClibs; we never tried it in
this context, and we can not help you with that.

But please explain why you would want to use uClibc?  Is it just the
memory footprint?  Did you measure how much you can safe compared
against for example a system build with standard eglibc?  And are you
aware of the restrictions you have to accept when using uClibc?

In my opinion, uClibs makes only sense if you have extremely tight
memory conditions, like the classical WLAN router with only 4 MiB
flash memory.  But then - how many such systems are still around?
My feeling is that you may spend a lot of efforts for little or no
benefits...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I will also, for an appropriate fee, certify that  your  keyboard  is
object-oriented,  and  that  the bits on your hard disk are template-
compatible.            - Jeffrey S. Haemer in <411akr$3ga at cygnus.com>