[ELDK] Kernel Panic on init

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Sep 25 20:22:22 CEST 2012

Dear Glenn,

In message <A2307CF1934C804DAD90E71B11FF6DF211E2F4AF9E at SWEC9981.w-intra.net> you wrote:

> I am using ELDK 4.1 to cross compile Linux for the powerpc (44x) on a

ELDK version 4.1 was released in January 2007, i. e. way over five
years ago.  And you are using it with a 2.6.37 kernel - ok, this is
pretty dusty as well (released 01/05/2011), but still from a
completely different area.

> -static hello_world.c -o init. I used this init in my initramfs and
> my output is below. Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

First, you use largely incompatible versions of software, differing
nearly half a decade in their release dates.  This has never been a
good idea.  ELDK 4.1 is still based on Linux threads, while Linux 2.6
expects NPTL support, which simply isn't there.

Second, you don't even provide sufficient information to really help
you.  Your log is incomplete - for exmple, the kernel command line is
missing.  And you don't even mention where "my initramfs" is coming
from, and if this is in any way related to the ELDK root file system.

Is there any specific reason for using such ancient tools?  Why don;t
you use for example ELDK v5.2.1 instead?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man  to  fish,
and he'll invite himself over for dinner.             - Calvin Keegan