[ELDK] Cross-compiling Linux kernel - unrecognized Opcode

Qasim Maqbool qasim.maqbool at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 06:44:23 CET 2013

I am trying to compile the Denx Linux-2.6 for the Power PC 85xx
architecture but I'm facing the unrecognized opcode error:

arch/powerpc/kernel/epapr_hcalls.S: Assembler messages:
arch/powerpc/kernel/epapr_hcalls.S:27: Error: Unrecognized opcode: `wrteei'
make[1]: *** [arch/powerpc/kernel/epapr_hcalls.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/powerpc/kernel] Error 2

I am using Ubuntu 12.04, Linux kernel 3.2.0-37, with ELDK v4.2 (which
installs perfectly). I have also tried Fedora 16 with the same ELDK version
but that still gives me the same errors. I have also tried updating
binutils-devel to version 2.23 but I still cant get the kernel to compile.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Qasim