[ELDK] Cross-compiling Linux kernel - unrecognized Opcode

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Thu Feb 21 10:56:01 CET 2013

Hi Qasim,

> I am trying to compile the Denx Linux-2.6 for the Power PC 85xx
> architecture but I'm facing the unrecognized opcode error:
>
> arch/powerpc/kernel/epapr_hcalls.S: Assembler messages:
> arch/powerpc/kernel/epapr_hcalls.S:27: Error: Unrecognized opcode: `wrteei'
> make[1]: *** [arch/powerpc/kernel/epapr_hcalls.o] Error 1
> make: *** [arch/powerpc/kernel] Error 2
>
> I am using Ubuntu 12.04, Linux kernel 3.2.0-37, with ELDK v4.2 (which
> installs perfectly). I have also tried Fedora 16 with the same ELDK version
> but that still gives me the same errors. I have also tried updating
> binutils-devel to version 2.23 but I still cant get the kernel to compile.

Did you really update the "cross binutils" which are actually contained
in the ELDK?  I would be much surprised if you did that.

> Any suggestions?

What version of linux-2.6-denx are you actually trying to compile?

Also, ELDK 4.2 is already somewhat old, did you try using the
powerpc-e500v2 version of ELDK 5.3?  For example it has newer
binutils...

Cheers
  Detlev

--
"Milk?" called Reg. "Er, please." "One lump or two?" "One, please." "Sugar?"

    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Douglas Adams