[ELDK] bitbake of custom ARM kernel to U-Boot uImage not installing properly?

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Sat Feb 23 19:13:56 CET 2013

On 23/02/2013 18:47, Hans Beckérus wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Stefano Babic <sbabic at denx.de> wrote:
>> On 19/02/2013 10:50, Hans Beckérus wrote:
>>> I am using a custom kernel and when building the kernel image using my
>>> own layer the installation phase picks up the wrong image when
>>> installed to ../tmp/deploy/images. The uImage seems to be picked up
>>> from kernel/arch/arm/boot/Image instead of
>>> kernel/arch/arm/boot/uImage? From what I know, is not "Image" just a
>>> stripped down (objcopy) of vmlinux?
>>>
>>> I can see why this is happening in recipes-kernel/linux/linux.inc:
>>>
>>> do_install_prepend() {
>>>         if test -e arch/${ARCH}/boot/Image ; then
>>>              ln -f arch/${ARCH}/boot/Image arch/${ARCH}/boot/uImage
>>>         fi
>>>
>>>         if test -e arch/${ARCH}/boot/images/uImage ; then
>>>              ln -f arch/${ARCH}/boot/images/uImage arch/${ARCH}/boot/uImage
>>>         fi
>>>
>>>         if test -e arch/${ARCH}/kernel/vmlinux.lds ; then
>>>              ln -f arch/${ARCH}/kernel/vmlinux.lds arch/${ARCH}/boot/vmlinux
>>>         fi
>>> }
>>>

>> Try this:
>>
>> do_install_prepend() {
>>         if test ! -e arch/${ARCH}/boot/uImage ; then
>>             if test -e arch/${ARCH}/boot/Image ; then
>>                ln -f arch/${ARCH}/boot/Image arch/${ARCH}/boot/uImage
>>             fi
>>         fi
>>
>>         if test ! -e arch/${ARCH}/boot/uImage ; then
>>             if test -e arch/${ARCH}/boot/images/uImage ; then
>>                  ln -f arch/${ARCH}/boot/images/uImage
>> arch/${ARCH}/boot/uImage
>>             fi
>>         fi
>>
>>         if test -e arch/${ARCH}/kernel/vmlinux.lds ; then
>>              ln -f arch/${ARCH}/kernel/vmlinux.lds arch/${ARCH}/boot/vmlinux
>>         fi
>> }
>>

> Yes, that should do it. I patched it by completely removing the first test.
> Obviously that is not the right way to do it.

Please do not remove the Mailing List from CC - the issue can be
interesting for other ones.

I have doubt about if it is or not the best way to do. You say you have
introduced your meta- layer. It is quite common (at least for me) to add
my recipes-kernel to my own meta-layer, because I need to add not only
the specific version, but also some other rules, adding also machine
specific files (defconfig, and so on). The kernel rules under meta-eldk
are thought to generate the machines in eldk itself, but your kernel
receipe should go into your meta- layer.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de