[ELDK] cannot find -lgcc

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 16 16:42:42 CET 2013

Dear Andika,

In message <CAPijX0BWX=7eUSEVQwz2Q5M6SMK-B_NymnWMyMPA2tLC4BKnVA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Hi, i'm a newbie on embedded system, sorry if i'm asking a basic question..
> i have installed eldk5.3 on ubuntu maverick for cross-compiling to arm
> based board..
> the problem is about cross compiling u-boot :
> first, i've done this :
> cd u-boot
> export ARCH=arm
> export CROSS_COMPILE=armv4t-

The canonical compiler prefeix should be arm-linux-gnueabi- instead,
but this is probably not your problem here.

If in doubt, use  eldk-switch - see [1]

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/ELDK-5/WebHome#Section_1.8.3.

> source /TA/ELDK5.3/armv4t/environment-setup-armv4t-linux-gnueabi
>
> then i use make file statement
>
> make at91rm9200ek_config
> make all
>
> it's working fine for a while, then i received this error
>
> armv4t-ld.bfd: cannot find -lgcc
> make: *** [/home/andi/Desktop/ubootbuild/u-boot] Error 1

I cannot confirm this report.  With plain ELDK v5.3 and recent U-Boot
(v2013.01) this works fine for me:

-> cd /home/wd/git/u-boot/work
-> git describe
v2013.01
-> eldk-switch -r 5.3 -m armv4t
Setup for armv4t (using ELDK 5.3)
-> ./MAKEALL at91rm9200ek
Configuring for at91rm9200ek board...
 203923    5436  297844  507203   7bd43 ./u-boot

--------------------- SUMMARY ----------------------------
Boards compiled: 1

> i have installed some gcc packages :
> dpkg --get-selections | grep gcc
> gcc         install
> gcc-4.4 install
> gcc-4.4-arm-linux-gnueabi install
> gcc-4.4-arm-linux-gnueabi-base install
> gcc-4.4-base install
> gcc-4.5-arm-linux-gnueabi-base install
> gcc-4.5-base install
> gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi install
> libgcc1 install
> libgcc1-armel-cross install

What are these needed for?  I though you were using ELDK?

> i don't know why i got this error..
> are there any other package that i must install?

No.  ELDK is supposed to be self contained.  Actually none of the arm
compiler packages listed above are needed (nor useful when working
with the ELDK).  Make sure your PATH settings are correct so you are
really using the ELDK tool chain.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
365 Days of drinking Lo-Cal beer.                       = 1 Lite-year