[ELDK] ld.so.1 needed by libpthread.so.0 not found

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Fri Jan 24 21:11:34 CET 2014

Ed,

I do not understand why the version of SUSE has anything to do with your linker failure.  Your cross-development environment should be compiling with target headers and linking with target static and shared libraries only.  Those should all be contained in the ELDK 3.1.1 cross-development kit -- they have nothing to do with the host O/S release.  I suspect your environment variables or configure commands from the original system are not quite the same as the ones you are using on your new system.  That could explain, for example, why the linker could not locate the ld.so.1 it was looking for.  If this is the true cause of your link failure, then you will encounter this linker error on any system you build -- old or new x86/x86_64 Linux release -- that does not search for the proper target system libraries.  Pay special attention that you are compiling with the proper headers for your target system.  You won't typically get compile-time errors when you use the wrong headers.  But, as you know, PPC and x86 are different endian architecture, which must be properly defined in the header files.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov