[ELDK] Installing Drivers on m28evk

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 23 20:54:19 CEST 2014

Dear Claus,

In message <14CEF8D55336EB40BECA7AE0DA008F0A04DC4CC3 at exch-srv.hy-line.lan> you wrote:

> my goal is to use a LTE modem via USB with the m28evk.
>
> I have got driver for the LTE card but I am not able to install the
> driver direct on the board.

At the moment we use a v3.10.28 kernel in the latest ELDK release
(v5.5.2).  Have you made sure that your driver source code is complete
and is compatible with this kernel version?

> I know that I have to crosscompile the dirvers (gobi serial and gob net
> drivers) for the system  and copy the solution then to the board, or
> like this.
> Is there any description how can  I do the cross compilation.?

There are many descriptitons how to compile a kernel tree; in the end
they boild down to something like:

$ export ARCH=arm
$ export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-
$ export PATH=<path_to_your_cross-tools>:$PATH
$ make mrproper
$ make m28evk_defconfig
: Adjust config to enable your custom drivers
$ make menu_config
$ make -s -j8 uImage
$ make m28evk.dtb

> Do I need the eldk for that?

Yes, you will need the ELDK cross SDK (or any other cross development
environment) to do that.

> If you have a describtion think about I am newbe!
>
> This is the first time for me trying this.

Did you already discover the fine documentation we have for the M28EVK
at [1] ?  It is highly recommended to read this...

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/Manual?stickboard=m28evk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Prof:        So the American government went to IBM to come up with a
             data encryption standard and they came up with ...
Student:     EBCDIC!