[ELDK] U-Boot version required to boot kernel 3.10 on PowerPC

Peter Oruba peter.oruba at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 11:52:56 CEST 2014

Am 25.06.2014 um 11:15 schrieb Detlev Zundel <dzu at denx.de>:

> Hi Peter,
>
> [...]
>
>>> Did you try the post-mortem debugging technique documented in our
>>> DULG[1]?  Sometimes the error message is quite plain to see there…
>>
>> Yes, that gives me a load of ASCII garbage, but not a single string.
>
> If you don't even see the Linux header, i.e. the "Linux version ..."
> then the method either doesn't work (wrong physical address?) or Linux
> did not start at all.  Very strange indeed.

I have

CONFIG_KERNEL_START=0xc2000000

and

c258dc9c b __log_buf

so I did 'md 0x58dc9c 512‘

> If I had access to your hardware, then at this stage I would hook up a
> JTAG debugger and actually trace the transition from U-Boot to the
> kernel.  I'm sorry that I don't have any more ideas currently.

Yes, that is what I am also thinking of as one of the next steps. Besides, I tried to redirect kernel messages via netconsole, but didn’t really expect anything from it since not even the internal message buffer gets populated with reasonable text so why would suddenly something appear there, especially as it gets initialized much later during the boot process...

Thank you for your help so far,
Peter