[ELDK] How to install ELDK-5.8 on Ubuntu-16.04 for U-Boot developing?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Sep 13 06:35:23 CEST 2016

Dear Chi Wang,

In message <CAOeHT2HOGVOaw4nbH4g7h=c8kXUb-DWK6AAgFc-Z3MZOmM161A at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I'm currently working on a loongson_2h board (mips64 architecture), and
> trying to boot it with U-Boot.
> Then I found ELDK-5.8-mips.iso on denx news page.
> *The problem is which ELDK package should I install?

This depends on if you need a target root file system for the board,
and what it's requirements are.

> And how does it works
> compiling U-Boot?*

For U-Boot you don't need a root fs.  To compile U-Boot, you just need
one of the cross SDK images.

> I have been reading DULG and U-Boot docs whole last week, but got more
> confused as I read more.
> The ELDK-5.8-mips.iso contains multiple targets. Even with names and
> purpose explained at this page,
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/ELDK-5/WebHome,
> still have no clue which target should I install to compile U-Boot.

Install meta-toolchain-sdk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Too many people are ready to carry the stool when the piano needs  to
be moved.