[tbot] Testcase / Scripting JTAG Debugger

Harald Seiler hws at denx.de
Thu Dec 6 13:51:52 UTC 2018

Hi Stefano,

On Thu, 2018-12-06 at 14:40 +0100, Stefano Babic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are some ready to use testcases for the BDI debugger ?

No, unfortunately not ... Yet!

> The debugger does not allow scripting - anyway, this is something tbot
> can really help.

Yes, this is exactly what tbot is supposed to automate for you.  I have had
debugger support in the back of my head for a long time, but haven't yet
had time to implement anything ...

> I have an old processor where the Flash is not supported by the debugger
> fw, but I can rescue the  board after bricking issueing a long list of
> CFI commands. What I would like to have is a "BDI" board and a
> @tbot.testcase where I can put in a list a set of commands.
>
> Is there something to be used ?

So, technically you would need to implement a new machine for this.  Like
a BdiMachine, that has the ip address configurable.  I don't have any
documentation up for how one would go about doing this I am afraid ...

I might be able to hack something basic up tomorrow that you can expand
on as you need.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with bdi so I am not sure
what would be needed.  As far as I understood it, we have two interfaces,
the telnet console and a gdbserver.  I guess you need both to work with
a BDI effectively?

In that case, we'd have something like:

	with bdi.BdiMachine(lh) as dbg:
	    dbg.exec0("run", "something", "on", "telnet", "console")
	    dbg.gdb0("run", "something", "on", "gdb", "session")

Does that make sense?

--
Harald

Phone: +49-8142-66989-62  Fax: +49-8142-66989-80   Email: hws at denx.de