[U-Boot-Board-Maintainers] Raspberry pi 4 - u-boot - genet / scb

Andre Przywara andre.przywara at arm.com
Wed Nov 20 11:20:30 UTC 2019

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 12:13:55 +0100
Matthias Brugger <mbrugger at suse.com> wrote:

Hi,

> Adding Andre as he helps in the effort to port the driver. More comments inline.
>
> On 19/11/2019 22:46, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> > On 11/19/19 9:48 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
> >> Hi Sascha,

> >> OK, well I think this is in linux as drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/genet
> >>
> >> I'm not sure about the PHY but it looks like there is no driver for
> >> genet in U-Boot. I suggest poriting it over.

Amit (CC:ed) is working on that. That is still quite rough and not really working yet, but as of yesterday he saw the first (empty) packets on the line at least.
I would assume we get something working still this year.

> > In linux-next/next-20191119
> > arch/arm64/boot/dts/broadcom/bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb
> > there is no network device.
> >
> Florian send a new pull request, I think yesterday which adds the genet driver
> to RPi4.

I found the burst length quirk together with the new compatible string in David's net-next/master two days ago.

> > On Raspbian you can find for RPi4:
> >
> > compatible = "brcm,genet-v5"
> > relating to Linux drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/genet/bcmgenet.c
> > CONFIG_BCMGENET "Broadcom GENET internal MAC support"
> >

> RPi4 is a special case as DMA burst size is different from plain genet-v5
> driver. But that might be of no relevance for U-Boot.

Yeah, since there is no other user, we could just go ahead and fix the smaller burst length of 8 in U-Boot. I guess we don't care about the performance impact that has.

Cheers,
Andre.