[U-Boot-Users] RAM vs. ROM version of ppcboot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 3 13:55:16 CET 2002

In message <02120313135706.06014 at pcj86.jena.mazet.de> you wrote:

> I hope it's right to post questions about PPCBoot at U-Boot mailing list. I'm

Given the fact that PPCBoot has been laid to rest, yes.

> new at PPCBoot, but know about internals of ARMBoot. So I know the ROM and
> RAM versions of ARMBoot have to differ.

Ummm... you don;t need a "RAM version" at all.

> Now, I plan to download PPCBoot into the RAM of a TQM850L via gdb and run
> from there. Gdb init the target processor inclusive address decoder. Can I
> load a ppcboot binary builded from plain tarball into the RAM or schould I
> swap some configs in include/configs/TQM850L.h ?

Why would you want to  do  this?  U-Boot  (and  PPCBoot)  is  running
perfectly  fine  from  flash  on all TQ boards. Why would you want to
create a "RAM version"? It makes no sense to me.

As the CPU  starts  executing  code  from  the  boot  device  (CS0  =
typically  flash)  this is the most natural mode to run PPCBoot, too.
It was written to expect a CPU coming up from reset, so  don't  force
it  into  any other environment without a good reason and a very good
understanding of what you do, and why.

Since you ask this question, I think you should NOT try doing this.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Even historians fail to learn from history -- they repeat the same
mistakes.
	-- John Gill, "Patterns of Force", stardate 2534.7