[U-Boot-Users] RAM vs. ROM version of PPCBoot

Chris Hallinan clh at net1plus.com
Tue Dec 3 22:31:58 CET 2002

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message
> <NEBBKJPFOLJNBMFNKBIIKENKDCAA.clh at net1plus.com> you wrote:
> >
> > > Why RAM version?
> > > Mostly, the convenience is the main reason.
> >
> > I can't imaging debugging PPCBoot (or most other flash-resident)
> > code any other way.
>
> Oops? To me it makes absolutely no difference if the code
>  is  runing
> from  RAM  or  ROM.  Debugging  is exactly the same (OK,
> you might be
> limited regarding thenumber of breakpoints when running
> from ROM, but
> usually this is no real handicap).

I agree with your comments.  The main reason I use RAM version is
for load speed.

OK, OK, I just timed it.  To erase/program flash using BDI-2000, it
takes
erase: 3 seconds
prog:  6 seconds (with WORKSPACE enabled)

and to load into RAM:
load:  2 seconds (with dcache disabled)

So, you're right, the difference isn't really that much! :)

-Chris Hallinan
DS4.COM, Inc.