[U-Boot-Users] Ethernet ARP problem

My-Hong Vuong My-Hong.Vuong at au.thalesgroup.com
Tue Dec 3 23:07:12 CET 2002

Hi,

I'm developing for an MPC860T using ppcboot2.0 on a custom board.  I'm
in the stages of getting tftp up and running.  I am using an AM79C874,
which is identified correctly by ppcboot and I have intialised it to
have all capabilities - tech[0:2] = 0x111.

After several attempts to tftp failed, i ended up using Etherpeek to
capture the packets.  What I got in my packets was not an ARP request,
but a XNS packet.... the protocol id had somehow changed from 0x806 to
0x807!!!!  Experimenting, I changed it to 0x807 to see what i got, and i
still got 0x807.  trying 0x805 got me 0x805 but trying 0x804 got me
0x805.... it seems that the last bit is being set high somewhere.  Doing
a dump at location 0x1ff3420 (pointer to the bufaddr), i do get 0x0806
(all the correct values as a matter of fact), but etherpeek continues to
receive it as an 0x807.

Additionally, I changed the pointer to a location up a byte and doing a
memory dump throught ppcboot is the same but using etherpeek, it still
captures it as an 0x807

setting it to loopback :

fecp->fec_r_cntrl = 0x00000001;

gets me:

Receive from protocol 0x0807

from the ppcboot console.  what's going on here??  is there something
that I'm not setting or perhaps setting incorrectly?  Has anyone
encountered this kind of problem before??

Thanks in advance,
My Hong Vuong

Acoustic Mine Imaging
Thales Underwater Systems