[U-Boot-Users] How to make u-boot like BIOS much more?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 31 17:08:11 CET 2002

In message <HIENLGPNLABMIKBCNLNOKEBPCAAA.powerdriver at sina.com> you wrote:
> SGVsbG8sIA0KCQ0KCUkgYW0gZ29pbmcgdG8gZGVzaWduIGEgR1VJIGZvciBwcGNib290IHRvIG1h
> a2UgaXQgaGF2ZSBhIHByZXR5IGZhY2UgdG8gdXNlciwNCiANCglidXQsIGhvdyBjYW4gSSBkbyB0
> aGlzIHdvcms/IGhvdyBtdWNoIGVmZm9ydD8NCg0KQmVzdCBSZWdhcmRzDQpNaWtvcmUNCg==

Please do not send base64 encoded messages. Send plain text only.

> I am going to design a GUI for ppcboot to make it have a prety face to user,

> but, how can I do this work? how much effort?

I'm not sure what you mean. The subject indicates you want to make it
look like one of those PC BIOSes. If this is your intention, you will
have to:

* drop support of all boards that don't have a graphic display
  connected (which is probably > 90% of all boards)

* remove support for the serial console interface; this makes porting
  U-Boot to new hardware a makjor pain in the ...

* drop the shell interface, drop variable support, etc.

* drop support for most of the other features  that  make  U-Boot  as
  powerful as it is today

What do you want to acchieve? Which part of U-Boot usage do you think
can be improved by providing a BIOS-like interface?

Who are your users that you think  they  will  benefit  from  such  a
change? And how are they using U-Boot?

Sorry, but I don't understand which problem you are trying to address.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it
frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
                                              - Franklin D. Roosevelt