[U-Boot-Users] bootargs env variable and CONFIG_CMDLINE in .config

erik.teose at exgate.tek.com erik.teose at exgate.tek.com
Wed Apr 2 00:59:17 CEST 2003

Can someone please enlighten me on the relationship between u-boot's
env variable "bootargs" which gets passed to the linux kernel,
and the CONFIG_CMDLINE kernel configuration setting in .config?
Which one takes precedence if CONFIG_CMDLINE_BOOL is set and
CONFIG_CMDLINE has a string in it?

I'm running an ebony system with u-boot, booting a MontaVista 3.0
kernel. I have modified MV's version of ebony.c to copy the bootargs
env info to "cmd_line", and this info is displayed when the kernel
boots up, but I don't think the kernel is really using this.

If I'm using bootargs from u-boot, do I have to disable CONFIG_CMDLINE_BOOL
in the kernel .config?

Thanks.

Erik