[U-Boot-Users] bootargs env variable and CONFIG_CMDLINE in .config

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 2 01:16:32 CEST 2003

In message <BA0E4392AD99D040885C414D992C24BE036150BE at us-bv-m11> you wrote:
> Can someone please enlighten me on the relationship between u-boot's
> env variable "bootargs" which gets passed to the linux kernel,
> and the CONFIG_CMDLINE kernel configuration setting in .config?
> Which one takes precedence if CONFIG_CMDLINE_BOOL is set and
> CONFIG_CMDLINE has a string in it?

When using U-Boot, the Linux bootloader stuff is not used at all,  so
all  related kernel config options (including CONFIG_CMDLINE) will be
unused / ignored.

> I'm running an ebony system with u-boot, booting a MontaVista 3.0
> kernel. I have modified MV's version of ebony.c to copy the bootargs

You probably have to ask MV. I don't  knwo  what  they  do  in  their
version  of the kernel tree. Normally, all the bootstrap loader stuff
is not required when using U-Boot.

It was one of the major  design  goals  to  get  rid  of  stuff  like
compiled-in command lines when I started the PPCBoot project.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Winners never talk about glorious victories. That's  because  they're
the  ones  who  see  what the battlefield looks like afterwards. It's
only the losers who have glorious victories.
                                      - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_