[U-Boot-Users] TFTP Download

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 12 12:59:09 CEST 2003

Hello,

in message <F509E6111989D311B63700805FA761DA06F992B8 at dbde01.itg.ti.com> you wrote:

> 	When we do a tftp download to a specific memory location, shouldn't
> there be a check whether the memory location we have given in the parameters
> is a valid memory location.

Please define "valid memory location". Keep in mind that:

- I can (assuming  the  corresponding  config  options  are  enabled)
  download directly to flash memory
- there may be SRAM, NVRAN etc. on the board
- there may be frame buffer memory
- there may be "pRAM" configured
- with TFTP, the file size will not be known in advance, so it might
  be difficult to validate the end address

And finally, let's remember Unix design philosophy:

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,  because
that would also stop you from doing clever things."       - Doug Gwyn

But please feel free to submit a patch...

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Until you walk a mile in another man's moccasins, you  can't  imagine
the smell.