[U-Boot-Users] Patches

Jonas Larsson jonas.larsson at netinsight.net
Fri Aug 15 17:25:26 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 17:19, Marc Singer wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 02:21:48PM +0200, Jonas Larsson wrote:
> > I have a question regarding submitting patches.
> >
> > Should I send them to the mailing list or to the patch
> > tracking system at sourceforge? I've submitted a patch
> > to sourcforge already.
> >
> > The patch adds support for an environment variable 'arch'
> > which is passed as the ARM machine number to the kernel if
> > set. The u-boot behaviour is unchanged if 'arch' is not defined.
>
> That's an interesting idea, though I'm not sure I can see how it would
> be valuable in practice.  Do you have systems where the hardware setup
> is identitical but the ARM CPU is different?

Nope. The arch number specifies what kind of arm-board the kernel is
booting on. One kernel binary is in my case able to handle 3 different
versions of boards (and its hard or dangerous to find out by probing
the board). The number is used to tell the kernel about how irq-lines
etc are wired on the board. Perhaps the name 'arch' is a bad choice,
perhaps "arm-mach" is better.

/ Jonas