[U-Boot-Users] Patches

Marc Singer elf at buici.com
Fri Aug 15 17:50:43 CEST 2003

> > That's an interesting idea, though I'm not sure I can see how it would
> > be valuable in practice.  Do you have systems where the hardware setup
> > is identitical but the ARM CPU is different?
>
> Nope. The arch number specifies what kind of arm-board the kernel is
> booting on. One kernel binary is in my case able to handle 3 different
> versions of boards (and its hard or dangerous to find out by probing
> the board). The number is used to tell the kernel about how irq-lines
> etc are wired on the board. Perhaps the name 'arch' is a bad choice,
> perhaps "arm-mach" is better.

Yes, I understand that.  It is also important that the board setup be
compatible which is the responsibility of uboot.  Which seems to be
true in your case.  None of the Arm chips I've used have this feature.
While they can be dynamically detected without danger, it is just as
easy to make separate u-boot builds for each.

Which chips are you using?