[U-Boot-Users] Re: PATCH: Add strtoul in syscall table

Pierre AUBERT p.aubert at staubli.com
Tue Jan 14 10:16:39 CET 2003

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message <3DF45C39.EE4FD65C at staubli.com> you wrote:
> >
> > The following patch adds the strtoul entry in the syscall table. This
> > function is
> > very usefull for analyzing the command line arguments in standalone
> > applications.
>
> Why do you think this is necessary?
>
> simple_strtoul() is part  of  the  generic  library  (implemented  in
> lib_generic/vsprintf.c).  Any  standalone application that needs this
> function can simply link against this library, so  I  don;t  see  the
> benefit from calling this through the syscall interface.

> Maybe I'm missing something?

I've tried to link my standalone application againt the libgeneric
library. I've got a lot
of undefined references (to printf, putc, udelay, do_reset) during the
link because the
function simple_strtoul is in the file vsprintf.c which contains other
functions (panic, sprintf, ...).
If we want to use this function in a standalone application, we need to
separate the
vsprintf.c in several pieces. What is the best solution ?

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Best regards