[U-Boot-Users] Download of kernel Image through Serial Line.

John W. Linville linville at lvl7.com
Wed Jan 29 15:23:09 CET 2003

Marius Groeger wrote:
 > On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 Christophe.LINDHEIMER at fr.thalesgroup.com wrote:

 >>- If I eventually manage to launch Linux, is it possible to have NFS
 >>over serial line ?
 >
 > Well, not as a root file system. You can boot into a small RAM disk
 > and set up a ppp link, though.

Actually, it is possible to mount the root FS via NFS over PPP.  We have
done so for development purposes on some of our systems with no ethernet
service ports.  The performance is limited, but once a binary (and it's
associated libraries) are cached into memory, the system is reasonably
responsive.

The trick is to use an initrd with a linuxrc file that sets-up the PPP
link.  The "root=" command line argument should be "/dev/nfs" and either
an "ip=" or "nfsroot=" line should be used.  I can be more specific if
someone wants more information.

John

--
John W. Linville