[U-Boot-Users] I have one question about MTD.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 3 12:09:41 CEST 2003

In message <000201c34149$a33d7dc0$a865a8c0 at ThinkPadX31> you wrote:

> How could I turn on the MTD support in u-boot?
> I don¡¦t know how to do that?

There is no MTD support in U-Boot. MTD is a software layer  whcih  is
used in Linux. U-Boot does not use anything like that.

> I want to use the setenv command to set (assume I used 32MB Flash)
> mtd0 0x00000000,0x00040000 ¡÷ u-boot
> mtd1 0x00040000,0x000E0000 ¡÷ kernel
> mtd2 0x000E0000,0x01F00000 ¡÷ filesystem
> mtd3 0x01F00000,0x01FF0000 ¡÷ reserved
> the left space 0x01FF0000,0x02000000 ¡÷ for env
> Then the kernel will get those parameters to set MTD.
> Can I do that and not need to modify u-boot ?

There are several ways to do that, and none of them require to modify
U-Boot.

Option 1 is to use a static "partition" map; to do so you  will  have
to  provide  a  MTD  map file for your board in the Linux kernel tree
(directory drivers/mtd/maps/).

Option 2 is to use  command  line  partition  table  parsing  (option
CONFIG_MTD_CMDLINE_PARTS)  and provide the required boot arguments on
the Linux command line.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
tried it."                                             - Donald Knuth