[U-Boot-Users] Serial Port Configuration on MPC8xx

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 10 14:05:45 CEST 2003

Dear Chris,

in message <D96E2AFA0DF3D211B139009027454948034CBEAF at helios.gnv.tcc.thomson-csf.com> you wrote:

> I use smc1 for the output of Uboot.
> So I set #define CONFIG_8xx_CONS_SMC1.
>
> In linux config I set SMC1 as my console  output.

OK so far.

> I would like to use SMC2 in linux also.
> So I added use SMC2 as UART in linux conf.

OK, too. This means you will have the serial  console  on  SMC1,  and
SMC2 is used as second serial port (/dev/ttyS1).

> For the SMC1 it works fine as Uboot makes the config of the BRG and IO when
> CONFIG_8xx_CONS_SMC1 is set.

This is because U-Boot uses SMC1.

> But for SMC2 no config is done by Uboot and I can't set CONFIG_8xx_CONS_SMC2
> & CONFIG_8xx_CONS_SMC1.

When U-Boot is configured for console on SMC1, it will not  use  SMC2
for anything, and thus it will not initialize it.

> Is there something clean to do under Uboot to make it configure SMC2 ?

Why should U-Boot initialize a port it does not use?

> Where should this init done ?

This should be done, and actually it _is_ done,  in  the  Linux  UART
driver. No help from U-Boot needed here.

Ummm... what exactly is the problem?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
A witty saying proves nothing, but saying  something  pointless  gets
people's attention.