[U-Boot-Users] Debugging u-boot with BDI2000

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 18 14:05:47 CEST 2003

Hi,

in message <200307181321.29058.jbeisert at eurodsn.de> you wrote:

> With "reset halt", "info" I see the CPU waiting at address 0xFFFF'FFFC, after
> one single step ("ti") it waits at address 0xFFFF'C0100. Seems ok.

Indeed, this looks OK.

BTW: plain "reset" is all you need. You don't have to specify  a  new
mode if you don't want to change it.

> If the mtmsr instruction is not "single step able", it should run, if I place
> a breakpoint behind this instruction (for example later in the C routines)
> and use "go" to run up the breakpoint. Or not?

Maybe. If you're using hardware breakpoints, for example.

> Perhaps my english is very bad. Question was: Why the cpu is running normal
> with "reset run", and did not run, when I enter "reset halt", enter a
> breakpoint and than "go" (it never reaches the breakpoint).

Which address is PC pointing to when you enter "go"?

You may want to ask Abatron support  for  details  about  the  exactl
meaning of these options. My interpretation is that "reset run" means
the  same  as  a  reset  in  startup  mode  run,  while  "reset halt"
equivalents to a reset in startup mode stop.  I  never  used  any  of
these.

Why don't you use plain "reset" ? [Did you try it?]

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"If anything can go wrong, it will."                   - Edsel Murphy