[U-Boot-Users] Debugging u-boot with BDI2000

Juergen Beisert jbeisert at eurodsn.de
Fri Jul 18 14:28:20 CEST 2003

Am Freitag, 18. Juli 2003 14:05 schrieb Wolfgang Denk:
> > If the mtmsr instruction is not "single step able", it should run, if I
> > place a breakpoint behind this instruction (for example later in the C
> > routines) and use "go" to run up the breakpoint. Or not?
>
> Maybe. If you're using hardware breakpoints, for example.

I did use hardware breakpoints.

> > Perhaps my english is very bad. Question was: Why the cpu is running
> > normal with "reset run", and did not run, when I enter "reset halt",
> > enter a breakpoint and than "go" (it never reaches the breakpoint).
>
> Which address is PC pointing to when you enter "go"?

0x700. It wants to handle an exeption (but at this point, there is no code
present). So it hangs forever.

> You may want to ask Abatron support  for  details  about  the  exactl
> meaning of these options. My interpretation is that "reset run" means
> the  same  as  a  reset  in  startup  mode  run,  while  "reset halt"
> equivalents to a reset in startup mode stop.  I  never  used  any  of
> these.
>
> Why don't you use plain "reset" ? [Did you try it?]

My u-boot implementation hangs at a very late position. So I have to place a
breakpoint before the point it hangs (to see what happens before the hang).
But with "reset run" the breakpoint is lost....And with "reset halt", setting
a breakpoint and "go" it hangs after a few instructions...Aaargh.

Thanks for your answers

-- JB