[U-Boot-Users] RE: Nand OOB layout, u-boot and the kernel sources do not agree.. ??

Dave Ellis dge at sixnetio.com
Thu Jul 24 20:59:44 CEST 2003

Richard Woodruff wrote:
> [...]

Position 5 is where the chip makers mark bad sectors, so we do not
get a choice. The NAND_NOOB values in U-BOOT are wrong and should
be changed to match the new ones in the Linux kernel. I think the
original cmd_nand.c was based on a very old version of MTD.

> ... Having more up to date definitions would seem better....as
> raw nand doesn't seem to be well supported except with jffs2 &
> possibly yaffs I don't suppose the NAND_NOOB is such a concern.

I don't know what software (if any) uses NAND_NOOB, but I think the
definitions still should be fixed (or removed). In my patch to
cmd_nand.c
I hard coded the bad block position at 5, so they can't be used
as they are.

Dave

Dave Ellis
SIXNET - "Leading the Industrial Ethernet Revolution"
331 Ushers Road,   P.O. Box 767, Clifton Park, NY 12065 USA
Tel +1 (518) 877-5173   Fax +1 (518) 877-8346
Email me at: dge at sixnetio.com
Detailed product info: www.sixnetio.com