[U-Boot-Users] PATCH : Fixes and enhancements for NAND flash.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Jul 27 15:38:58 CEST 2003

Dear Richard,

in message <FD2AC9A020DDD51194710008C7089B200BEE2224 at dlee17.itg.ti.com> you wrote:

> I do like the spinning wheel.  Is there any standard way to add a progress
> indicator into this or any code with significant delay?  Any of the users of

Use common sense. The only thing it does is making a part of the code
which takes more time than you like eveln  slower:  I'm  not  talking
about  the few CPU cycles for the printf (putc() would have been much
simpler), but especially about trashing the cache for "pretty" things
that don't add value, and the time it takes to output this stuff on a
slow serial line.

> the code I've talked with like such a feature.  It seems that same bit of
> code has been replicated in a few places. Surly having a library call and
> some ifdef's would be acceptable.

No, not at this place. It's a different story when -  for  example  -
waiting  for a flash sector be return to ready state when erasing it.
Here you have to wait anyway, so feel free  to  implement  this  busy
wait as you like it.

> As far a code formatting, I'll see if I can't fix it up.  I find myself
> using several editors depending on the context of what I'm doing.  I've not
> mastered any of them... When I do the diff -purN for the patch, I generally
> don't notice differences except in the areas I have changed something.  What
> code reformatter/filter do you use?  Some of the more recent u-boot releases
> have had a lot of style changes to the point I would suspect you ran
> something over the code.

vi and indent (indent -kr -i8 -bad -bap -nbc -br -c33 -cd33 -ncdb -ce
-ci8 -cli0 -cp33 -d0 -di1 -nfc1 -nfca -i4 -ip0 -l75  -lp  -pcs  -npsl
-nsc -nsob -nss -ts4, to be precise).

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
If something is different, it's either better or worse,  and  usually
both.                                                    - Larry Wall