[U-Boot-Users] Build system improvements?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 9 13:51:50 CEST 2003

In message <20030609111148.GA10440 at mars.ravnborg.org> you wrote:
> Being used to the Linux kernel 2.5 build system, the build system for
> Das U-Boot looks like an area for improvements.
>
> What features are most seeked among the u-boot developers?
>
> I will not promise, but I may take a stamp on it.

This has been discussed  at  length  before.  See  the  mailing  list
archive, for example the thread "Linux Kernel Config 1.2 for u-boot?"
started by Holger Schurig on Tue, 5 Nov 2002.

> Being inspired from the Linux kernel I have the following things in mind:
> (no particular order)
> - Less verbose output

Less verbose output? Please don't.

If you want a semi-silent build just use "MAKEALL  target".  For  all
other  cases  I  insist  on being able to see what's going on. I hate
"silent" build procedures where you have to waste your time to figure
out what's going wrong and where and why.

> - Dependency generation including dependency on CONFIG symbols
> - Kernel config tool

See previous discussion.

First thing you should do is to define _why_ you want to do this.  Do
you  want  to  make  it easier to port U-Boot to a new board? Is yout
target group the programmer who just starts his first  port,  or  the
expert who is doing this for the umpteenth time?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Pray to God, but keep rowing to shore. - Russian Proverb