[U-Boot-Users] Build system improvements?

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Mon Jun 9 22:03:24 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:51:50PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <20030609111148.GA10440 at mars.ravnborg.org> you wrote:
> > Being used to the Linux kernel 2.5 build system, the build system for
> > Das U-Boot looks like an area for improvements.
> >
> > What features are most seeked among the u-boot developers?
> >
> > I will not promise, but I may take a stamp on it.
>
> This has been discussed  at  length  before.  See  the  mailing  list
> archive, for example the thread "Linux Kernel Config 1.2 for u-boot?"
> started by Holger Schurig on Tue, 5 Nov 2002.

I only went back to January this year. I will take a look.

> > Being inspired from the Linux kernel I have the following things in mind:
> > (no particular order)
> > - Less verbose output
>
> Less verbose output? Please don't.
Why bother people with a lot of noise when less can do it in 99% of the cases.
The verbose variant is needed for sure - agree 100%.
But I do not see why it shall be the default choice.
Then a build where nothing is actually build should give minimum output.
Why should I be bothered with useless information about what directory
make visited for example. Much better to compile everything from
the same root.
Error messages is still OK, and you do not have to find out
which of the files with the same name was the culprint. After a screen
full of warnings where you lost the make info.

> First thing you should do is to define _why_ you want to do this.  Do
> you  want  to  make  it easier to port U-Boot to a new board? Is yout
> target group the programmer who just starts his first  port,  or  the
> expert who is doing this for the umpteenth time?

My main focus is to make life easier for the newcomers, and give a bit
value to the experts. No-one should suffer, especially not the daily
users.

I will take a look at the above mentioned mail thread - and then mail my
initial conclusins. Earlist next week - being busy...

	Sam