[U-Boot-Users] bootp/dhcp

Marc Singer elf at buici.com
Wed Jun 11 18:26:14 CEST 2003

The normal DHCP exchange works like this:

  target: Can I have a DHCP address?  Here's my MAC address.
  server: Sure.  I don't really care about your MAC, but I'll catalog
          the MAC/IP pair anyway so that I can give you the same
          address later. Here's your address, netmask, and DNS
	  servers.  I pulled it from my dynamic address pool.

When I said 'special response', there are a couple of things that the
DHCP server can do.  It can deliver a static address given the
target's MAC address.  It can deliver extra information such as the
filenames for the kernel and root file system.  You don't need to do
this, but it is sometimes helpful during a system bring-up.

Cheers.