[U-Boot-Users] Re: Virtex-II Pro and Instruction Prefetching

Frank Smith smith at amirix.com
Sat Jun 14 16:04:28 CEST 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message <03Jun14.092013adt.7305 at dragon.appliedmicro.ns.ca> you wrote:
> >
> > I'm working on getting PPCBoot 2.0.0 and Linux running on a custom
> > Virtex-II Pro development board.
>
> May I ask why you  use  PPCBoot  (a  dead  project)  instead  of  the
> successor project U-Boot?

Just haven't gotten around to it.  I promise I will soon (although I think
there's a bug in cpu/ppc4xx/start.S I've pointed out previously that
nobody has rendered an opinion on as of yet :-)

> > I'm currently encountering problems with my DDR SDRAM controller --
>
> This is a very common problem. Seems 99% of all people who attempt to
> port U-Boot see this soner or later.
>
> > it can't seem to handle instruction prefetching yet.  So to sidestep the
> > issue for now, I want to configure the 405 so that instructions
> > are not prefetched.
>
> Don't. The problem will bit you later again. Solve problems  as  they
> appear.

Point taken.  I've identified the problem, and someone else is working on
solving it, so I'm just looking for a way to make some progress until it
gets solved.

Thanks,
-Frank.