[U-Boot-Users] uploading OS over network instead of u-boot downloading it from a server.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jun 21 00:19:40 CEST 2003

In message <5.1.1.6.2.20030620145525.012aae48 at corelis.com> you wrote:

> Is it possible to configure/modify u-Boot so that we upload OS image to it
> and boot?
> i.e. instead of u-Boot getting image from a tftp server, it waits for
> network connection to receive the OS image.

No. So far U-Boot implements a TFTP client only. There is  no  server
fuctionality of any kind.

> If it is possible, we can save some money on flash since we only need to
> put a flash large enough to hold u-Booot instead of u-Boot+Linux+file system.

I don't understand this. How is this affected by U-Boot being  server
or client? You can do the same in both configurations. We have U-Boot
and  Linux  running  on systems with just a 128 kB EPROM (yes, a real
UV-erasable EPROM, you remember?).

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.