[U-Boot-Users] FADS and ICU862 Environment problems

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Jun 22 18:22:03 CEST 2003

In message <20030621002854.GA27308 at zumanetworks.com> you wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 02:21:36AM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>
> > Setting CFG_MONITOR_LEN correctly is correct. But why removing  which
> > #ifdefs ?
>
> if ENV_IS_EMBEDDED is set, nothing in environment.c gets compiled,
> and cpu/mpc8xx/start.S has a few
>
> #if defined(CONFIG_FADS) || defined(CONFIG_ICU862)
>
> directives which surround GOT_ENTRY(environment) and GOT(environment)
> references...
>
> safe to remove these?

No.

If you look at the u-boot.map file when building for the ICU862 board
you can see this:

                0x40f22b3c                __init_end = .
                0x40f22b3c                __bss_start = .

.bss            0x40f22c00     0x417c
                0x40f26c30                flash_info
                0x40f40000                . =  ALIGN (0x40000)

.ppcenv         0x40f40000     0x4000
 common/environment.o(.ppcenv)
 .ppcenv        0x40f40000     0x4000 common/environment.o
                0x40f40000                environment
                0x40f44000                _end = .
                0x40f44000                PROVIDE (end, .)

The #ifdef in "cpu/mpc8xx/start.S" makes sure that  clear_bss()  does
not attempt to clear any memory that belongs to the environment.

> btw. wolfgang, this patch is growing larger and larger every week,
> I'm not sure how easy it is going to be for me to split it up
> into digestible chunks for you...

Split it now, and submit any stable parts of it.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
When the ax entered the forest, the trees said, "The handle is one of
us!"                                               -- Turkish proverb