[U-Boot-Users] FADS and ICU862 Environment problems

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jun 24 20:24:30 CEST 2003

In message <20030623214211.GA10366 at zumanetworks.com> you wrote:

> > I see no discrepancy - ENV_IS_EMBEDDED is NOT set for ICU862
>
> I'm sorry, i must be dense, i'm still not getting this (i do not know
> anything about the ICU board) ...
>
> So, leave in the ifdef ICU862 case, but what about FADS (and other
> boards) which may or may not have ENV_IS_EMBEDDED set?

I don't know anything about the FADS board. I tried to use one  once.
Probably I will never touch one again.

> shouldn't they also NOT initialize past the bss into environment.o if
> ENV_IS_EMBEDDED is not set, but not refer to the "environment" symbol if
> ENV_IS_EMBEDDED IS set?

It depends on the flash layout,  i.  e.  where  your  environment  is
located.

> #if !defined(ENV_IS_EMBEDDED) || defined(CONFIG_ICU862)

No. "!defined(ENV_IS_EMBEDDED)" might include  situations  where  the
environment is in EEPROM or so.

> Sorry that this is taking so long to explain, but now i'm hopelessly
> confused ;/

Me too. What's wrong with the existing  code?  Where  does  it  cause
problems?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Cleverness and Style have no place in getting a project completed.
                                                  -- Tom Christiansen