[U-Boot-Users] FADS and ICU862 Environment problems

Nye Liu nyet at mrv.com
Mon Jun 23 23:42:11 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 11:35:48PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <20030623212553.GA10209 at zumanetworks.com> you wrote:
> >
> > shouldn't the ifdef depend on ENV_IS_EMBEDDED? If that is set, even
> > in the ICU862 case, nothing in environment.c gets compiled (ALL of
> > the code is ifdef'ed out), and "environment" will be unresolved..
>
> ENV_IS_EMBEDDED?  is  not  set  on  the  ICU862  board,   since   the
> environment  is  located  after  the end of the U-Boot image, but not
> embedded within it.
>
> > > The #ifdef in "cpu/mpc8xx/start.S" makes sure that  clear_bss()  does
> > > not attempt to clear any memory that belongs to the environment.
> >
> > but only if ENV_IS_EMBEDDED is NOT set... unless i'm missing something
> > obvious?
>
> I see no discrepancy - ENV_IS_EMBEDDED is NOT set for ICU862

I'm sorry, i must be dense, i'm still not getting this (i do not know
anything about the ICU board) ...

So, leave in the ifdef ICU862 case, but what about FADS (and other
boards) which may or may not have ENV_IS_EMBEDDED set?

shouldn't they also NOT initialize past the bss into environment.o if
ENV_IS_EMBEDDED is not set, but not refer to the "environment" symbol if
ENV_IS_EMBEDDED IS set?

i.e.

#if !defined(ENV_IS_EMBEDDED) || defined(CONFIG_ICU862)

Sorry that this is taking so long to explain, but now i'm hopelessly
confused ;/

--
Nye Liu
nliu at mrv.com
(818) 772-6235x248

"Who would be stupid enough to quote a fictitious character?"
	-- Don Quixote