[U-Boot-Users] CodeWarrior U-Boot debug

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Thu May 1 14:59:26 CEST 2003

Sorry, no direct help on CodeWarrior but... stuck in the FP exception would
tend to indicate a memory, probably a SDRAM, problem.  This is a classic
problem: SDRAM appears to work, but is misconfigured and cache burst
reading doesn't work properly.  This causes a lot of 0xFFs in the
instruction stream and these map into FP instructions, causing the FP
exception.

Reading and writing RAM using your CodeWarrior is NOT a good test of
SDRAM.  Most often you need to do a burst read for it to fail.  Burst reads
occur (at this point in the game) only when doing an instruction fetch with
the instruction cache enabled.

Try running with instruction cache turned off.  If it runs slowly but
steady :-), you are in the 99% probability it is a SDRAM initialization issue.

gvb

At 02:25 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, RL at prodrive.nl wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Has anyone of you ever used MetroWerks CodeWarrior to debug U-Boot?
>
>After I've succesfuly compiled the u-boot ELF and binairy I've programmed my
>flash with the binairy.
>
>Next, I've made a CodeWarrior project using the ELF file output of the GNU
>Compiler.
>
>I can connect to the PPC and I can view memory, but when I break the running
>process, the cpu is always stuck at address 0x800 (floating point
>exception).
>
>Also I cannot view the code in CodeWarrior??
>
>Can someone help me?
>
>Thx Roel

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and
may be legally privileged or otherwise exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. This e-mail and its files are intended solely for
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and their content
is the property of Smiths Aerospace.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication.
If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the e-mail
administrator at postmaster at smiths-aerospace.com and then delete this
e-mail, its files and any copies.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned
for the presence of known computer viruses.

Smiths addresses are changing!  The new addresses are of the form
firstname.lastname at smiths-aerospace.com.  Please update your address
books!  Please begin using the new form immediately.